Thursday 7 June 2012

Registries

To properly prepare for my project, I've been doing some research on what registries actually exist in Tangiers.

I read in "Sephardic Genealogy - Discovering your Sephardic Ancestors and their World" that Tangiers has a birth register from 1892 and a civil marriage register from 1927. I guess that the civil marriage register is the one I saw (Marriage 1) in my earlier post.

Based on some correspondence with a different Sephardic genealogist, I've been told that there are death registers since 1935, circumcision registers since 1891 (including some births of girls) and marriage registers since 1900. The genealogist also heard of other older books (including a registry of real property) that were in very poor condition.

The death registry is less important to me, as the tombstones in the Jewish cemetery in Tangiers have been digitalized and is searchable on this fantastic site-- http://www.beit-hahayim-tanger.com/index.php

I am hoping that we can find a way to link a search result to a photo of the actual page from the registry once we have a database set up. 

At my great-grandfather's grave in Tangiers - I used the website above to find the exact location

No comments: